Postdoc Position in Ecology/Biodiversity - UFZ
Veröffentlicht am: 27.01.2016
Excellent technical facilities
interdisciplinary and multinational teams
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
- The position will be based in the Department Physiological Diversity of the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, which is part of the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) Halle-Jena-Leipzig. Working place is Leipzig with a six-month stay in the Plant Ecology Group at the University of Berne (Switzerland).
Postdoc Position in Ecology/Biodiversity
Full-time 100%, (39 h/ week), contract limited to 2 years
- Research will focus on analysis of the time course of population dynamics and the plant communities of the Jena Experiment to test for multiple mechanisms of species coexistence, including:
- Application of competitive network theory to test for the possibility to predict species competitive ranks from pair-wise competition matrices in plant communities of varying diversity
- Analysis of frequency dependency, of population growth, and its relationship to various predictors related to stabilizing mechanisms and relative fitness differences
- Exploring how species coexistence mechanisms are related to multiple ecosystem functions and their temporal variability
- Studies in the field in a phytometer experiment how plant-soil feedback affects plant performance
- Core task will be long-term data analysis and interpretation
- Organization of a workshop
- Organization and realization of field work will also be included
- Doctoral degree in Ecology
- Publications in international journals
- Highly motivated, ability to work both independently and in a team
- Familiar with coexistence theory and diversity-ecosystem functioning research
- Strong skills in data analysis and statistical modelling (preferably R)
- Strong interest in performing synthesis analysis
- Fluent in English is a prerequisite, fluent in German is desirable
- Full German Driving License (or similar)
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- For research within the DFG project "The Jena Experiment" with focus on species coexistence mechanisms as a basis for biodiversity maintenance and ecosystem functioning we offer an interesting position in an international, interdisciplinary research group at a lively scientific environment in Leipzig (https://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=33124) and Bern (http://www.botany.unibe.ch/planteco/index.php) as well as international working experiences with project partners across Europe and the USA
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration TVöD public-sector including attractive public-sector social security benefits
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy; we therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons are given priority where applicants are equally qualified.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Jobinterviews will be in april
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig
Please use our online application system for your application.
More information about jobs at the UFZ: www.ufz.de/career
WICHTIG: Bitte berufen Sie sich in Ihrer Bewerbung auf JOBVERDE.de. Wir wünschen viel Erfolg!
Land-, Forstwirschaft, Umwelt